Friday, October 10, 2008

HOW OLD ARE YOU...really?? A list for you.

I am nearly 24 years old. I've come to realize that most people don't start teaching in a high school right out of college. I am bombarded...on a daily basis...with questions and concerns about my age. Here is a list sampling such occurrences. There are nearly too many to name because it happens EVERY DAY.

  1. I went up to the attendance office and told the secretary that I had an appointment with a vice principal. She replied very crisply, "If you need to see him then you need a pass from your homeroom teacher."
  2. I was walking to lunch and a security guard stopped me and said "where do you think you're going??" I said, "to lunch". (I was confused, because I didn't know where it was going). He says "where were you before this?" I reply, "my office". He looks at me and apologizes saying that he thought I qualified for detention because I didn't have a pass.
  3. I was sitting at a table at the technology fair promoting my students' work. A parent came up to me and asked when the teacher would be back because she needed to talk to her.
  4. At the beginning of the year, one of my students' parents complained to the school board that there was a non certified high school student teaching their child's class. It was me.
  5. In the same class, a student said to me: "are you old enough to drive, because you sure don't look it."
  6. I went to get a parking permit for my car and the secretary says "only teachers can get parking permits here, students must send in their forms by mail"
  7. In a class I was talking about a seminar I took in college and a student yelled out, "you went to college?? Aren't you, like, 17?"
  8. I was uninvited to happy hour because it was assumed I wasn't old enough to drink
  9. While attending a lunch meeting during an inservice day at a pub, the owner told me, in front of my co-workers, that I had to leave because they only allowed patrons 18 and older.
  10. At least once a day a student will say "oh I didn't know it was you in the hallway...you look like a kid!"

I do dress very professionally. I wear suits to work and blouses with slacks. WHAT'S THE DEAL?!?!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have your problem. At least they aren't asking you if you are somebody's grandmother. Oh, the joys that come with youth!:)

Anonymous said...

ok your list tops my "you're too young to be a teacher" comments/situations...at least my coworkers (mostly) knew how old i was.
altho at 30 i still *blend* into a group of middle schoolers a bit more than i would like. no matter what i'm wearing.

Anonymous said...

This stuff happens to me all the time! I think it's pretty amusing and I take it as a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I turned 56 today. You need to just enjoy being young.
I would like to suggest that you look at how you are dressed. If you are dressing similar to the kids, maybe a change in style might be in order. That is what I had to do when I was young.
Oh, to be young again...I miss the body and the agility and freedom from aches and pains.
Mystery Teacher

Joel said...

It wasn't until I turned 30 this year that I was really comfortable telling kids how old I am. Now I just tell them flat out. It's funny how 7th graders tend to think I'm older than 30 and 8th graders tend to think I'm younger.

Anonymous said...

Too hilarious! When I started teaching I was stopped in the hallway, lectured by principal that all students must be outside at recess and I waited to let him know I was the new hire. He did apologize. I just got used to looking young for my age. But I know what you mention. At age 30 I was asked for ID in a lounge! We are just very lucky?