Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Talking Back?

What is the deal with students talking back? Although I am a new teacher and fairly close in age to this generation, I would have never dared to talk to a teacher the way that most students talk to me. I am finding that students believe that they are right no matter what and at any cost. Why is this so? Is it a lack of respect? Are they being brought up this way at home?

Today I had a student banging on a keyboard with his arm in class. I told him that he lost the privilege of playing the keyboard (which he shouldn't have been anyway!) because he was abusing the instrument. He then proceeded to be mouthy with me for the next 5 minutes about how he was in the right and I was wrong.

I am not really offended by this behavior; I am more embarrassed for the kids. Do they know how ridiculous they sound? How does one remedy this? Is it just an uphill battle?

No comments: