Friday, October 3, 2008

Working with Others

Very often in my class, I have students pair up as partners. Occasionally this means having to work with someone that they don't care for. I explain to them that working with others is a lesson to be learned and that you will have to do it for the rest of your life.

I work closely with someone that does not share the same philosophy as me. While I understand that I am a new teacher, I do believe that I am not an idiot. I'm very open to the notion that I will have a steep learning curve this year. I do, however, want to think that others will treat me as a professional and not as a child. While I know he and others have children older than myself, I do not wished to be reminded of this. I am trying so hard to fit into this puzzle of teaching and faculty meetings and community that belittling me will not help my position.

I am very polite to this man and respectful. I constantly remind myself of the lesson that I share to my students: working together we will see accomplishments but divided we will fall.

No comments: